What is Coaching, Anyways?
Coaching leverages the power of human connection and conversation. The goal is transformation.
What really is Life Coaching? Let's take a brief look at history. It wasn’t until the 1980’s that term Life Coach became commonplace. Coaching grew out of sports and business and today is a billion dollar industry worldwide.
But, today many people still ask themselves, what is Life Coaching all about? Celebrity-like coach Tony Robbins is arguably the most recognizable for coaching celebrities, professional athletes and presidential candidates. But coaches also work personally with corporate CEOS, work environments to increase productivity, and with individuals on their personal and professional lives. But what do they really do, and how can it help improve your life?
The truth is, there are thousands of coaches around the world working with individuals just like you on their personal and professional development. And it really works!
Let’s start with some definitions:
Life: the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
Coaching: one who instructs or trains
Still pretty vague right?
The International Coaching Federation
Everything changed in 1995 when the ICF or International Coaching Federation was created. The ICF is the leading global organization dedicated to advancing the coaching profession by setting high standards, providing independent certification and building a worldwide network of credentialed coaches. There are currently over 18,000 ICF accredited coaches worldwide in 114 countries and the ICF has been instrumental in taking coaching from a “dubious fad” to a highly sought after asset for both companies and individual’s.
The International Coach Federation (ICF) defines coaching as a partnering with clients in a though-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential. Coaches honor that clients are the experts of their own lives and they serve a creative thought partner to help them think about their thinking.
- Identify, clarify and create a vision for what the client wants
- Encourage client’s self-discovery and growth
- Elicit strategies and an action plan based on the client’s goals, personality and vision
- Foster client accountability to increase productivity
The coaching relationship allows the client to maximize his or her potential, and research shows that coaching and training is more effective combination than training alone. In fact, training alone can increase productivity by 22.4%, but when combined with weekly life coaching; productivity is boosted by 88%.
Coaching is future focused. It seeks to improve an individual’s performance in multiple areas of their life by observing their thinking, receiving reflective feedback and inspiring new insights that create action.
I work with individuals on 3 key areas:
- Embodying Your Purpose: Having the confidence to embody purposeful work and live a meaningful life
- Life Transitions: Creating increased clarity around what your ideal life looks like
- Healthy Habit Formation: Developing the habits of mind, body and soul to accomplish the rest
The truth is, coaching must be experienced. So, if you’re ready to experience increased clarity, confidence in your strengths and well-defined purpose in your life schedule your FREE strategy session today!
P.S. When you are ready here are 5 ways we can connect:
1. Want to learn more and begin creating your life with intention? Schedule your Strategy session with me today: Schedule Complimentary Strategy Session
2. Are you ready to join a community of like-minded individuals? Join my next Group Coaching Program. These run for 4 weeks in small, intimate groups of 4-6 individuals.
3. Do you want a thinking partner to help you achieve your goals and get results? My 6 month Foundation Creation program has a few remaining spots still available
4. Finding these posts valuable? Don’t miss anything. Follow me on Facebook and join my email list. And please SHARE this with those people in your life who you think will find value in it.
5. Have you made a commitment to redefine yourself and increase your performance? Download 10 Questions to Change Your Life or my Level Up Your Life Toolkit today.